What is an Action Verb?
An action verb is a verb that expresses physical or mental action. The action verb tells us what the subject of our clause or sentence is doing-physically or mentally.
Examples of Action Verbs:
To find an action verb:
1) Find the word in the sentence that is something someone or something can do.
2) Remember that the action can be physical or mental.
Examples of action verbs:
skip smell love think
Examples of action verbs in a sentence:
Marie walked to school.
Walked tells us what Marie was doing.
Louis thought about the math problem.
Thought tells us what Louis was doing (mentally).
Below are some more examples of sentences that contain action verbs.
The action verbs are underlined.
1) Sam and Eric ride the bus to school each morning.
2) Jan wants a horse for her birthday.
3) Ian reads a chapter in his book each night.
4) Do you think it will rain today?
5) I believe in fairies and unicorns.
6) Will you help me with my homework?
7) Please call your mom.
8) The chicken strutted across the road.
Everyday Action Verbs List for Kids
Here are some action verbs that can be used in everyday communication.